Don't forget to catch us in Discord! This is the best place to stay up to date on events and you can chat with us live any time during the day. Click this link to sign up and join us. It's free!

Physical or Digital Game Distribution?

The place for all your non-gaming and generic topics that do not fit better elsewhere.
twiztedstudiez
Administrator

Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:10 pm

Physical or Digital Game Distribution?

Which method of game distribution do you prefer? Back in the good ol' days we had a CD for everything. Sometimes new games would be on 2,3, or even 4 CDs. During install we had to sit their and babysit the installer so it would remain happy and install our game :) And we liked it. These days just about everything is digital, whether that be through Steam, Origin, etc.

Which type of distribution do you prefer? Each have their own pros and cons. I prefer digital, but there are some cons as well.

1. Physical you "own" the game. You always have the disk and should forever own the actual game. Digital distribution you basically have a license for the game. That can be revoked at any time.
2. Many ISPs in the US have data caps. Yuck! This can hurt for digital stuff if the game is huge and you have a tiny data cap.
3. If Steam were to ever sell out or go out of business, where do my games go?

I'm sure I could think of some more, but those are just some ideas I could think of to get some discussion going. What do you prefer? What are your thoughts on both?

grimangelx

Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:39 am

twiztedstudiez wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:10 pm
I prefer digital, but there are some cons as well.
I agree with you here twiztedstudiez. I also prefer the digital method of distribution, specially these days that there are tons of games available. Here are a few things that I considered on choosing my side:

Pros:
1.) You won't have to worry about disc space and the availability of the disc in case you lost it, you can use one account to manage all your existing games and grab them online in case you ever lose your copy.
2.) You can use that account to play that multiplayer game which would be convenient.
3.) There would be an available support in case you ever get problem with your account.

Cons:
1.) Theoretically, in case (ie.) Steam stops business, which probably might never will, but just incase, and you don't have your local files on your computer, worst case scenario is your game would probably be lost and there would be no way to retrieve it. It would be like you never owned it in the first place.
2.) Fresh install would take double maybe even triple the time because of downloading + installing to the drive. Also a decent internet connection is needed specially for big games. Unlike buying the physical copy where you'll just need to load the disc.

All in all I find their difference being, digital distribution gives you more flexibility and comfort as long as the conditions are met.
Your soul shall be mine!... or not :lol: *sarcastic*

Msko

Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:44 am

I'm also in favor of the digital form of distribution. The pros and cons grimangelx outlined pretty much sums it up. Lack of space is my major concern with the physical form of distribution. Buying a lot of games means that you will need space and also a way of taking care of the CDs. That's an additional work absent when you have the games in digital form of distribution.