Don't forget to catch us in Discord! This is the best place to stay up to date on events and you can chat with us live any time during the day. Click this link to sign up and join us. It's free!

Popular VPN Services

The place for all your non-gaming and generic topics that do not fit better elsewhere.
twiztedstudiez
Administrator

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:11 pm

This topic should be used to list popular VPN providers. This list may vary by country so if you're interested in purchasing service from a provider below you'll need to make sure they're available in your country.

What is a VPN?
A virtual private network (VPN) is a network that is constructed using public wires — usually the Internet — to connect to a private network, such as a company's internal network. There are a number of systems that enable you to create networks using the Internet as the medium for transporting data. A VPN secures the private network, using encryption and other security mechanisms to ensure that only authorized users can access the network and that the data cannot be intercepted.
Popular Picks

Private Internet Access
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

HideMyAss
https://www.hidemyass.com/how-vpn-works

TunnelBear
https://www.tunnelbear.com/

PureVPN
https://www.purevpn.com/

D-ST1
Founder

Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:33 am

Do you use a VPN?

twiztedstudiez
Administrator

Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:07 pm

D-ST1 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:33 am
Do you use a VPN?
I do for work and personal use to connect to my home network while away, but that uses OpenVPN server setup here. Don't use one to connect externally anywhere though. If I had to choose one it would probably be PIA, but I haven't done much research into them. Just a name I've heard tossed around frequently so they must be alright.

Judas2018

Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:40 pm

I think the VPN thing is a bit overblown. I have survived years without a VPN and have had no problems. I am currently on a PC with a static IP. So I rarely worry about having my search history watched. I already know amazon and ebay use search history to try and advertise to me. I'm ok with that.

twiztedstudiez
Administrator

Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:47 pm

Judas2018 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:40 pm
I think the VPN thing is a bit overblown. I have survived years without a VPN and have had no problems. I am currently on a PC with a static IP. So I rarely worry about having my search history watched. I already know amazon and ebay use search history to try and advertise to me. I'm ok with that.
I don't think the folks using a VPN are utilizing them to stop advertising and what not. They're usually using them to do something that their ISP doesn't like or blocks. Some use them for malicious purposes to hide their tracks. I have used them for security and creating a tunnel to my home network or work network as if I were sitting at home or in the office.

Judas2018

Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:31 am

I figured as much. Although some sites advertise VPN's as a necessity because "the government" could be watching you as your browse the web or something. The paranoia economy is full of all kinds of gadgets and ideas that make the creators a lot of money... AND only make the purchasers more and more schizophrenic. VPN's might be great if you're breaking into stuff or downloading illegal music, movies or copies of games. Torrenting pirated content and such. But no one else is even thinking about getting one. Unless they live in a country where they suspect they're being watched by overlords.